The IFP/PHX Screenwriters’ Group strives to provide a creative, supportive and fun environment for local screenwriters to interact, learn and develop their craft. Our goal is to encourage the development of ideas and the completion of scripts that are ready to enter the marketplace.
We welcome anyone with interests or goals in the areas of screenwriting and film, and anyone else who’s interested, to come to a meeting and see what we’re all about. Join us and help our community grow.
Weekly Table Reads for Screenwriters
IFP Phoenix has two unique groups that hold weekly screenplay table-reads, on both Tuesday and Wednesday nights. A table-read is a process where a group of screenwriters gather to read portions of each other’s scripts and then comment in turn. Having your screenplay read out loud is a great opportunity to get a feel for the sound of your dialogue and the overall flow of your script.
**NOTE: NEW LOCATIONS, beginning 9/2012!!
When: 7-9pm, every Monday night
Cost: FREE to the public.
Moderator: Richard Roth
RSVP: Please email Richard Roth to RSVP
(Alternating the Following Locations)
September 10, 17, 24, October 8, 22, November 5, 19, December 3, 17.
Where: 12 W. Alicen Ct., Phoenix, AZ, 85021 (Hosted by Dennis Lewis. Call 602-697-8091 when at the gate to be let in)
October 1, 15, 29, November 12, 26, December 10.
Where: 3811 E Sequoia Trail, Phoenix AZ 85044 (Hosted by Linda Hart)
What to Bring?
Screenwriters: bring no more than 10 pages of your script, in 12 point Courier preferred. Please bring eight or more copies to share around.
Actors: bring yourself, ready to get into character and bring a story to life.
Even if you don’t have any pages, come by to participate! You will learn just by participating, being involved, and listening to other people’s pages and critiques. And we always want to hear your views on other members’ scripts.
2011-2012 Meeting Archive
In 2011-2012, Screenwriting Co-Directors Bob and Jessica Marquis hosted a monthly screenwriters meeting where a guest speaker would present on a writing topic. Below is an archive of those meetings.
- April 6, 2011 - Phoenix Film Festival - Best Screenplay winner screening
- May 26, 2011 - Steve Briscoe presents on “Writin’ Funny”
- June 23, 2011 - Nathan Blackwell presents on Web Series Writing
- July 28, 2011 - Nitara Osbourne on “Playing God” with Character Development
- August 18, 2011 - The Script Doctor Makes a House Call – with Howard Allen
- September 15, 2011 -Writing for Television with Brian Samuel Davis
- October 20, 2011 - Writing for Weirdos with Bruce Dellis
- November 17, 2011 - The Renaissance Screenwriter with Yanni Skiotes
- January 19, 2012 - Jon Bonnell presents on Rewrites
- February 16, 2012 - Troy Pottgen presents on Napkin to Action: the World of Advertising
- March 15, 2012 - A Film Critics Perspective: Colin Boyd
- April 19, 2012 - The Four “C’s” – Unraveling the Complexity of Dialog